Farmer’s Grand Ewe® Cornbread
You’ve gone to the Farmer’s Market and have chosen all sorts of delectable vegetables. Now what? Now… you make this. The perfect savory side to any meal!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup shredded Vintage Grand Ewe®
1/2 cup sheep’s feta (or other feta)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1) Preheat oven to 425 °F
2) In large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, salt and pepper. Once mixed well, incorporate buttermilk and eggs until just combined.
3) Gently fold in corn kernels, bacon, and Vintage Grand Ewe®. Once mixed well, set aside.
4) Place butter in a 9″ cast iron skillet or 9″ square baking dish and place in oven. Allow butter to melt then remove immediately from oven (don’t let the butter burn). Tilt pan or dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides of pan.
5) Pour cornbread batter into skillet or dish. Top with tomatoes, onion, and feta.
6) Bake cornbread until golden on top – about 30 to 35 minutes depending on oven. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cornbread to test doneness, if it comes out clean… bread is done!
7) Let cornbread cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
*Makes one 9″ round cornbread